Goes well with comfort food!

Finished reading THE UNDOMESTIC GODDESS by Sophie Kinsella [book synopsis here]. Here's my quick, half-baked review:
A bit too literal, too commercial. It kinda reminds me of the "pocketbooks" I used to read in high school -- you know, those predictable love stories aimed at wetting young girls' panties. Boy-meets-girl...then-live-happily-ever-after kind of stuff.
Only this time, the story is geared towards a more mature and sophisticated audience: twenty- to thirty-something "yuppie" women. (Indeed, main character Samantha Sweeting is a lawyer who, at only 29, is up for partnership at a prestigious law firm in London. She's witty, attractive and ambitious. A high-powered gal, yay!)
A bit too literal, too commercial. It kinda reminds me of the "pocketbooks" I used to read in high school -- you know, those predictable love stories aimed at wetting young girls' panties.
I'm relatively new to the "chick lit" genre, so I hope I'm not making it sound like this is a bad or shallow book. Actually, it's NOT bad -- not bad at all! I mean, if I wanted something thought-provoking or depressing, why would I pick a bright yellow book with cutesy fonts and illustrations, right?
Truth is, THE UNDOMESTIC GODDESS is very charming and at times hilarious. It's perfect for when you just want to relax, curled up in a cozy couch with a breezy book on your lap and a cup of hot choc within arm's reach. Goes well with comfort food. A cheerful read indeed!
Quotable from the book:
You don't always have to plan your life. Sometimes it's enough to just know what to do next.(or something like that... sorry, I can't find the passage, so I'm merely paraphrasing it here, hehe!)
Synopsis >>>






No comments:
Post a Comment